Something new in the works for ELG

Spellcraft & Swordplay - Where it it all began.


You know, it strikes me that the best stuff from Elf Lair Games is stuff I just piddle around with and decide, "What the Hell?" That's how Spellcraft & Swordplay came to be, after all. It was originally just a thought experiment based around how OD&D was intended to use Chainmail combat, and before I knew what had happened, I'd drafted a pretty unique and individual yet still old-school feeling, game. It's been popular enough, too. Without me pushing it or putting out constant support materials, it's still selling copies here and there.

I shudder to think what could've happened when it was still on peoples' radar if I had the wherewithal at the time to actually make a go of it.

Ah, well. Missed opportunities and all that.

Anyway, it looks like we're coming up on our next new major release. I've been putzing around with some rules for a...thing. A Fantasy thing. Which should go nicely with S&S, and which is already hinted at in the core book. As with S&S itself, it started as something I just wanted to muck with, by way of, "how's this supposed to work?" and quickly turned into, "If I tweak this and clarify that and make a little change here...oh. I've got a new game."

Anyway, it's been awhile since I had anything to report...a LONG while. So I just thought I'd pop in with a note that something's coming. As always Elf Lair is a side thing for me, a venue to throw out some stuff I'm playing with that other publishers probably won't be interested in, because they've got their own thing going. So it's not the beginning of any sort of major ramp up. But for those of you who are already fans (there's what? a dozen or so of you?) you should hopefully dig this.

The working title is Magic & Mayhem. Not overly clever, I'll give it to you. It'll probably change, especially since I've already got Monstrous Mayhem as an S&S sourcebook. 

More as the project develops.

Comments